Q: How to create an ODBC data source (DSN)?
A: You can follow the steps below to create a DSN on Windows NT/2000/XP:
1. launch the Control Panel,
2. click on Adminstrative Tools
3. click on Data Sources (ODBC)
4. then you will have a ODBC Data Source Administrator window.
select the tab System DSN
On your right, click on Add to launch a window "Create New Data Source"
select Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)
click on Finish takes you to the ODBC Microsoft Access Setup window
Fill in the Data Source Name, such as bugzero_db,
this is the DSN you will use during Bugzero installation.
click on Create ...
you enter Database name as bugzero.mdb, and select a directory.
then click on OK, OK....
5. now, you should take a look at the bugzero.mdb you just created in the
directory you selected. Double click on it should open Access.
There should be no tables yet.
1. The DSN must be a System DSN so that the app server user can access it.
2. The database file itself (bugzero.mdb) should be located on a local drive,
not on any network drive. The later may not work.
3. If you run NT service for your servlet engine, you will need set up the
LogOn (Service --> Properties --> Log On) with a valid username/password
of the local machine. If seems the Local System account won't let you
access the access database.
4. In a 64-bit Windows OS, the 32-bit Data Sources (ODBC) is under
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe, use it instead.
* Reference brought to you by
Bugzero, it's more than just bug tracking software!